Mon-Sun 09:00 – 18:15
Last Entry 17:45
Immerse yourself in a pivotal chapter of Gibraltar’s history by visiting the Great Siege Tunnels. Carved out of solid limestone in 1779 during the Great Siege, these tunnels stand as a remarkable feat of military engineering and ingenuity. Today, they serve as a living museum, open daily for visitors to explore.
- The Great Siege Tunnels were constructed during a time of conflict and necessity, designed to provide a means of defence and communication across Gibraltar. As you walk through the tunnels, you’ll be tracing the steps of soldiers who lived and worked in these very corridors over two centuries ago.
- The tunnels are not only a testament to wartime strategy but also a symbol of resilience and determination. Their creation was a crucial factor in Gibraltar’s ability to withstand sieges and attacks throughout its history.
The Tunnels Today
- Within the tunnels, visitors can explore various chambers and passageways, each telling a different part of Gibraltar’s military past. Historical cannons are still positioned, overlooking the same landscapes they once defended.
- The addition of multimedia displays provides a rich, educational experience, bringing the history of the tunnels and their role in Gibraltar’s past to life. These interactive elements make the Great Siege Tunnels a captivating visit for all ages.
- Opening Hours: The Great Siege Tunnels are open to visitors from 09:30 to 18:15, with the last entry at 17:45. This allows for ample time to journey through the tunnels and absorb their historical significance.”
- Accessibility: While the tunnels are historically preserved, efforts have been made to ensure they are accessible to most visitors. However, due to the nature of the site, some areas might be challenging for those with mobility issues.”
- Best Time to Visit: To fully appreciate the tunnels without the rush, consider visiting during off-peak hours, typically early morning or late afternoon.
Are you ready to journey back in time and discover the secrets of the Great Siege Tunnels? Plan your visit to this extraordinary historical site in Gibraltar and experience first-hand the ingenuity and resilience of the past. Step into history today.